As to plea negotiation for immigrants there are many myths. The following are all false statements.
1. It is always best to avoid a conviction which is an aggravated felony under immigration law.
2. It is always better if the client already has a green card.
3. The lower the jail sentence, the better it is for the client’s immigration situation.
4. The more serious the charge, the more serious the immigration consequences.
5. Getting a plea vacated for cooperation or because of a drug program always helps the immigrant with their immigration case.